Hello, do you know when you wish to go? Select your trip

Ships and Ferries for Passengers and Freight GNV Company History

GRANDI NAVI VELOCI is one of the leading Italian shipping companies operating in the fields of coastal navigation and passenger transport in the Mediterranean Sea. The company was founded in 1992 and the first ship, the M/n Majestic, was launched in 1993.

GRANDI NAVI VELOCI owns 19 ships and operates shipping connections to Sardinia, Sicily, Spain, Tunisia, Morocco, France and Albania. As well as passenger services, the GRANDI NAVI VELOCI fleet is committed to the development of Motorways of the Sea routes: seaborne transport represents a cheaper alternative to traditional road transport and provides a worthwhile solution to environmental issues linked to the intensive use of motor vehicles on our road networks.

The history of GRANDI NAVI VELOCI:

1992: GRANDI NAVI VELOCI is founded.

1999: GRANDI NAVI VELOCI - unique in Italian shipping at this time - was floated on the stock market to finance the development of its fleet, the most modern and innovative in Europe.

2003: GRANDI NAVI VELOCI docked in North Africa, opening its Genoa – Tunis route.

2004: the Grimaldi family and Private Equity funds managed by Permira came to an agreement in order to develop the company further, thanks to the input of capital into GRANDI NAVI VELOCI of 80% by Permira and the remaining 20% by Grimaldi Holding.

2006: a new shareholding structure was introduced; shortly before the end of the year, the following partners put capital into GRANDI NAVI VELOCI: Investitori Associati, De Agostini, Charme and a part of management.

2007: GRANDI NAVI VELOCI was chosen as the Best Shipping Company by travel agents and was awarded the Bit Tourism Award 2007. In June, Ariodante Valeri joined the company as General Manager.

2008: the Genoa – Barcelona – Tangier line was launched, initiating connections with Morocco. The same year, an ad hoc service for pet owners was developed and offered on La Superba, La Suprema, Fantastic, Excellent and Majestic.

2009: the Grimaldi family definitively left the shareholding and management of GRANDI NAVI VELOCI.
The shareholding structure was divided between Investitori Associati (67.1%), IDeA Co-Investment Fund (20.1%), Charme (9.2%), management (2.1%) and other shareholders (1.5%).

2010: Roberto Martinoli took over the role of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at GRANDI NAVI VELOCI.

2011: the Extraordinary Meeting of GRANDI NAVI VELOCI shareholders, held on 2 May, approved the reserved share capital increase for Marinvest S.r.l., given a stake equivalent to 50% of the share capital of GRANDI NAVI VELOCI.
Marinvest joined GRANDI NAVI VELOCI as a shareholder thanks to a capital increase against a mixed transfer, through the contribution of cash and three ships (SNAV Toscana, SNAV Lazio and SNAV Sardegna).
The new shareholding structure was split between Marinvest (50%), Investitori Associati (35%), IDeA (9.2%), Charme (4.6%) and other shareholders (1.2%).

2012: on 26 May, GRANDI NAVI VELOCI launched two new shipping links between the French port of Sète and the Moroccan ports of Tangier and Nador. On 2 August 2012, a meeting of GRANDI NAVI VELOCI shareholders approved a share capital increase to the value of 30 million euros; the meeting also delegated the authority to carry out a possible further increase up to 20 million euros to the Board of Directors.
The company is therefore owned by Marinvest (50%), Investitori Associati (43.40%), IDeA Co-Investment Fund (3.66%), Charme (1.83%) and other shareholders (1.11%).
On 20 December, Roberto Martinoli was appointed Chairman of the company; Giovanni Battista Vacchi joined the Board and assumed the role of Chief Executive Officer (CEO).

The December 11, 2013 is resolved to increase the share capital to € 169,999,988.97. The percentage of ownership of the shareholders are divided between Marinvest Srl: (57.39%), Investors Associates: (36,97%), Idea Capital Funds SGR S.p.A. (3.12%), Charme Investment S.C.A. (1.56%) and others (0.96%).

Grandi Navi Veloci S.p.A.,Via Balleydier 7 - 16149 Genoa - www.gnv.it

Chairman: Pier Francesco Vago

CEO: Matteo Catani

Passenger Contact Centre: +39 (0)10 2094591 - booking@gnv.it
Freight Contact Centre: +39 (0)10 5509339 - cargo@gnv.it